Many in the community are asking about a party for Marianne Morton in honor of her retirement from Common Wealth. It was the Board’s and staff’s fervent wish to celebrate her legacy with a community-wide event to mark her commitment to the work of Common Wealth and to note the major milestones Common Wealth has achieved since she started in 1981. However, Marianne prefers to not be in the limelight and instead speak with people individually. We look forward to marking her legacy when we welcome our new Executive Director in an event that will look both at our history and forward toward our vision for the future.
If you wish to reach out to Marianne or make a donation in her honor:
During the many years of Marianne Morton’s participation and leadership, Common Wealth has accomplished many remarkable things. Among the many highlights of the last 35 years are:
- The development of Yahara River View Apartments, a public/private partnership that created 60 new units of affordable housing adding to our already robust housing offerings in the increasingly gentrified Williamson-Marquette neighborhood.
- The partnership with Madison Gas & Electric on Madison Enterprise Center, an office and light industrial business incubator that serves start-up and expanding small businesses.
- The purchase and remediation of the old Greyhound bus terminal and its redevelopment into Main Street Industries, a thriving business incubator in the heart of what has become Madison’s entrepreneurial/tech corridor.
- The expansion of our Youth-Business Mentoring Program to all Madison high schools and Sun Prairie.
- Innovative work in the Meadowood neighborhood, providing decent, affordable housing, and job development services, partnering with Joining Forces for Families and Orchard Ridge United Church of Christ.
The Board of Directors extends its profound gratitude to Marianne for her many years of unwavering commitment to Common Wealth and its work for social justice, decent housing, job creation and youth development. We are humbled, challenged and inspired by the legacy she leaves behind and will continue to live up to the high bar she set for integrity, courage and innovation in our pursuit of social equity for all.
Connor Sabatino, on behalf of the Board of Directors of Common Wealth