Common Wealth serves as a Work Permit Office

Some of our Youth Programs staff members are also Work Permit Officers and can create work permits for any youth who has recently obtained a job. There is usually at least one Work Permit Officer available during normal office hours (Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm) but it is recommended you call ahead to be sure someone is available to assist you. You may check the availability of our Work Permit Officers and schedule an appointment by calling any one of our Officers. Their contact information can be found on our contact page.

What do I need to bring to get a work permit?

Please review the following list to be sure you bring everything you need to receive a work permit. Copies of documents will not be accepted.

  1. Proof of age – either a birth certificate, Wisconsin driver’s license, Wisconsin State ID, or a baptismal certificate.
  2. Social security card.
  3. Letter from the minor’s employer stating the employer’s intention to hire the minor, describing the job duties and hours of work, and signed by the employer’s representative.
  4. Letter from the minor’s parent or guardian consenting to the employment. Alternatively, parents/guardians may sign the letter from the employer.
  5. $10.00 to cover the work permit fee. We accept cash (exact change is appreciated) or checks (payable to Common Wealth).

The youth must be present in order to create the work permit. Common Wealth will issue a receipt along with the work permit.

More info from the State of Wisconsin

More information on work permits can be found at


If you have any questions, please contact Annie Johnston, Youth Workforce Development Manager, at 608.220.8155 or

Need more information?

Please contact us if you have any other questions about work permits.

Liz Machesney

608.256.3527 x21

Email Liz